CET Survival Guide: DLSUCET/DCAT


Here's the second episode of my College Entrance Test survival guide! Of course, I'll be happy to give you, high school seniors, tips on making it to one of the most prominent universities in the country - the only university where you are legally called froshies, gives away the best freebies for test takers (this year's batch got a USB, bummer), spending your college life for only [about] three years, home of the first Phil. Solar Car Sinag, star athletes Jeron Teng and Michele Gumabao, the biggest eco-friendly library in the Philippines, the Henry Sy Sr. Hall aka in what we Lasallians call, the SM La Salle, is no other than my alma mater - De La Salle University.




I'm very blessed that the Lord lead me to this university. As a student of this institution for only 4 months, I've learned so much not just inside the classroom but outside of the campus as well. Prior to the belief that "Lasallians are conyo", this can be true for some but not to all. There are a lot of things to be proud of being a student of this school, and it is my prayer that future Lasallians can experience what I am feeling too.


"Freebies" for DLSU ID113 students (my batch).
If you took the UPCAT, ACET and the USTET, the DLSUCET might have been your third or fourth exam. Are you tired of the bubble shading already? Well, brace yourselves my dear high school seniors, the De La Salle University College Entrance Test or now known as the De La Salle College Admission Test is a tricky CET. But don't worry, I'll make sure to cover everything you have to take note of in taking the test.


Student handbook NOT included in the kit
Before:
It was quite a long line going up to my testing room. My testing center was at the Andrew Building, home of the froshies and the College of Education students. Lasallians can relate how long and grueling Andrew Elevator lines can get, so I suggest for testtakers assigned at Andrew building, be there at least 30 minutes before your exam so that you don't get caught in elevator traffic. My classroom was FREAKING COLD, thankfully I brought a sweater along with me, sporting my favorite jeans and sneakers. Testing rooms in La Salle can freeze and distract you during the exam, so I highly suggest you bring a sweater just in case.

During:
There were about 30-40 students that occupied the classroom but we started late to wait for the other students. We were arranged in alphabetical order. Like a normal examination, bags and cellphones were surrendered in front and we were all asked to use the restroom before the exam. As far as I can remember, my DLSUCET had six parts (but not in order): math, science, reading comprehension, language proficiency, abstract reasoning and apparently I forgot the other. 

 I must confess I had difficulty in math and science. For math, I suggest you focus on trigonometry, algebra and geometry. For science, I saw a bunch of chemistry questions in mine. Remember important formulas too. I shotgun the reading comprehension area since the paragraphs there are quite lengthy. I didn't worry much for language proficiency and abstract reasoning. There was a short 15 minute break in between the third and the fourth test in which I spent snacking on chocolate, bananas and candy.




Tips:

Usual tips in which are found in the previous CET Survival Guide post: bring last minute requirements, snacks, a sweater or jacket (A MUST), get to your testing site early (see below for a map), find joy in the test, and believing in the power of prayer. I will be sharing special tips though:

1) Time pressureIf you guys took the Ateneo College Entrance Test, you were really pressed in time in answering all questions. Similar thing goes for the DLSUCET, but this one's got no essay. Remember not to stay stuck on one item!

2) No right-minus wrong. There goes that sigh of relief. Unlike the UPCAT, the DLSUCET is not right-minus-wrong, so you have to answer as much questions as you can to be able to score. "Shot gun" method (random guessing of answers but answering as rapidly as you can) may work too but I still believe in the power of intelligent guessing.

3) Which is which? The test doesn't indicate
what area comes first, so have your mind set ready for tackling words, numbers or figures at any time.


This is an old map. The Football Field is now where the Henry Sy Sr. Hall's stands. Br. Gonzales Hall on the far right is where Andrew building's at.


But... it's not over if you don't make it!

There is still a chance for you to make it to DLSU even if you don't make the first cut. One of the special things DLSU has is the reconsideration exam. For the reconsideration exam, they give the exact same test as the first one, so it's helpful if you remember what was tackled when you took the first cut. They give second chances to those who don't make it and they usually hold these exams on March and results come out on April. Keep your hopes up!  



Wishing the best for aspiring and future Lasallians, or should I say, froshies? ;-) 
God bless and Animo La Salle!